PG Music Home
Posted By: shaneblyth Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? [Resolved] - 01/12/24 05:13 AM
Im trying to figure out what plays the midi sounds from inside band in a box. there is an option to ( as im on a mac,) choose some apple midi sound player that plays GM sounds i assume but i have a Roland Fantom keyboard and other hardware synths that can accept midi in and hve incredible high quality sounds . Can you get biab to send the midi tracks data out? i dont want it to play the synthmaster that comes with biab or the apple option is there not a simple send midi out. I know i can plug any midi keyboard into the computer and biab recieves those notes and plays and record midi in, but what about the midi output as an option?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? - 01/12/24 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by shaneblyth
... Can you get biab to send the midi tracks data out? i dont want it to play the synthmaster that comes with biab or the apple option is there not a simple send midi out. I know i can plug any midi keyboard into the computer and biab recieves those notes and plays and record midi in, but what about the midi output as an option?
Yes, this should be possible.
From the MIDi / Audio Drivers Setup Help:
"MIDI Output Driver: Select a driver for MIDI Output. This could be the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth, a sound card synth, or a MIDI interface connected to an external hardware synthesizer. Note that the MIDI Output driver won’t be used (except for MIDI Thru) when "Use VST/DXi Synth" is checked.

Perhaps the easiest way to configure Band-in-a-Box is to press the [Run Driver Wizard] button. The Run Driver Wizard dialog will take you step-by-step through the process of auditioning and selecting an appropriate driver. This assumes that the appropriate Windows sound drivers are installed and correctly configured."

So you need to firstly disable "Use VSTi/DXi Synth".

Probably also set the Synthesizer / Sound card to General MIDI.

You could also ask this question in the Mac section of the forums, as I'm sure there will be people there who can advise directly how to do this with the Mac.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=39&page=1
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? - 01/12/24 09:32 AM
I use the Windows version, not the Mac and there are differences, so I can try to help only from my experience and the BIAB for Mac manual. BTW, you don't mention which version, i.e., year+build that you have and that sometimes can be important.

I'm pretty confident that both will output MIDI to a external hardware MIDI player.

First, there's a tutorial +++ here +++ that may help. The title may mislead a little, but it does cover external devices.

Try here in the BIAB for Mac 2023 manual:
Basic MIDI setup is on p9; more detail on page 268 (Chapter 14).
Posted By: shaneblyth Re: Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? - 01/13/24 02:55 AM
Thanks appreciate it i used search to look in the manual but seemed rather vague i looked for over an hour but what you found i didnt see ill go back and search for that section
Posted By: shaneblyth Re: Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? - 01/13/24 02:57 AM
cheers for the help n links very helpfully its the latest 2023 version
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Midi out to Fantom Keyboard? - 01/15/24 06:48 PM
Im trying to figure out what plays the midi sounds from inside band in a box. there is an option to ( as im on a mac,) choose some apple midi sound player that plays GM sounds i assume but i have a Roland Fantom keyboard and other hardware synths that can accept midi in and hve incredible high quality sounds . Can you get biab to send the midi tracks data out?

Yes, you need to:

A) Open the Mac Core MIDI/Audio setup. There is a menu item in Band-in-a-Box, Options | Core Audio/MIDI Setup. This opens the Audio Devices window, and you need to find the MIDI settings window. Usually this is under Window menu | Show MIDI Studio.

This area represents your physical setup. E.G. you want to see an interface with MIDI cables connecting your keyboard. Add an External device if not already present (MIDI Studio menu | Add External). Drag MIDI cables from the OUT triangle on your interface to the IN on your keyboard and vice versa.

B) With that configured, go back to Band-in-a-Box, Options | MIDI Input/output ports. Note that you will need to have plugged in your MIDI keyboard/interface prior to launching Band-in-a-Box. It should be an option in the MIDI input and output ports.
© PG Music Forums