PG Music Home
Posted By: JuergenH Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 12:17 PM
Hello,
I'm completely new to BiaB. I understand that I can enter chords and define the type of accompaniment.
Are there already finished songs in the package? Assuming I'm looking for the RealBook Standard "All the things you are", is it already included in the Ultra Pack or do I have to put it together myself?
Can I get Realbook standards somewhere?

Greetings
Juergen
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 12:43 PM
The work is already done for you. You can purchase the aftermarket Real Fake Disk.

All the chords of all the songs in the Real Book, 6th Edition are there, and there is a Real Style assigned to each one of them. There are over 400 songs on it, for a little over 11 cents (US) per song.

Since they are made in BiaB, you can change the style, arrangement, key, tempo or whatever you like.

The link: https://www.nortonmusic.com/fake37.html

There are a couple of free samples on that page. Look for a linked song title in the right-hand column, and download.

Note: This is a self-serving plug as well as a solution to your problem. I've been making aftermarket products for BiaB since the 1990s.

Notes ♫
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by JuergenH
Hello,
I'm completely new to BiaB. I understand that I can enter chords and define the type of accompaniment.
Are there already finished songs in the package? Assuming I'm looking for the RealBook Standard "All the things you are", is it already included in the Ultra Pack or do I have to put it together myself?
Can I get Realbook standards somewhere?

Greetings
Juergen
Firstly, welcome to the neighborhood.

Yes, you can enter the chords to a song, choose a style, and create a backing track with enormous flexibility and options.

My understanding is that there are no finished songs included in the package, except for some simple samples that are not covered by any copyright (public domain).

If you a looking for the melody notation then the RealBook shows that but I'm not sure if some FakeBooks have that same level of detail. It might be worthwhile checking that out.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 02:02 PM
Hundreds if not thousands of Real Book Standards, including melodies, are available in BIAB format by searching the internet.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 02:28 PM
All are good suggestions but I vote for Notes' disks. They are accurate in the chord progressions, suggest the appropriate styles, and will save you a lot of time. I speak from experience as I have a few of his fake book disks.

Also you can search the Internet for songs and find some good ones. But you may also find some not so good ones. Again been there - done that.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 05:10 PM
Yes, all good advice above.

It is not legal to distribute songs with melodies without paying the appropriate licenses, but interestingly BIAB does come with demo songs and some of those have recognizable chord changes for jazz standards. I recall someone said there was a list, but I don't know of one.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
It is not legal to distribute songs with melodies without paying the appropriate licenses, but interestingly BIAB does come with demo songs and some of those have recognizable chord changes for jazz standards.
That's legal, because chord progressions can't be copyrighted.

Titles also can't be copyrighted.

But copying the chord progression and title of a song is copyright infringement.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Realbook Standards - 03/20/24 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by dcuny
But copying the chord progression and title of a song is copyright infringement.
Uh oh... frown
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Realbook Standards - 03/21/24 12:37 PM
<< Can I get Realbook standards somewhere? >>

Have a look at songs and lessons that are included within the BIAB program. There are hundreds of songs and lessons.

Attached picture Songs and Lessons.jpg
© PG Music Forums